Tuesday 22 April 2008

Wear Your Slippers, Wear Your Slippers!


Two weeks ago, I was visiting one of the villages where some health care teaching was going on under a big tree. The teaching was on Hookworms and wearing your shoes as a preventative measure. It looked like attention was wavering. I remember praying for a missionary family with SIM in Burkina Faso who wanted us, as a Sunday School, to pray that their young son would keep his shoes on to prevent hookworms. So, this brought back memories for me As I watched, I thought, can we sing about it? Really, God is so faithful. Right away the tune for Frere Jacque or Are you sleeping? came to mind, so here goes…

Wear your slippers (flip flops here are called slippers)
Wear your slippers
Every Day
Every day
When you wear your slippers
When you wear your slippers
The worms stay away
The worms stay away

Of course, all this with motions. They all started to sing it. And a couple of days ago, while walking through the same village, people saw me and started singing. My favourite scripture lately has been Psalm 121. Our help cometh from the Lord who made Heaven and Earth. Why don’t I fgo to him more often. It was so fast, so direct, so practical and the ship people who are out there everyday, say that the people young and old are still singing that little piece of wisdom.

I am excited!!

1 comment:

Tim, Sharon & Nathanael Tretheway said...

Hi Ann

Just taking a minute to catch up on your blog site....great to see all that you are doing.

Glad you've also been able to put all the practice you had at making up those songs for the scrapbooking e-mails to good use. Maybe it might hit the pop charts.

Look forward to seeing you soon
Sharon