Friday 26 September 2008

Floating Blood Bank

Today I gave blood.
On the ship we are rather like a floating blood bank. It is truly unique. If you wish to be a blood donor, you can sign up, have your blood tested and if it is O.K., you can choose to be available. So I knew this month I was rather 'on call'. Yesterday I found out they would need me today possibly, so I stayed on board. This morning, when a certain patient went in for his surgery, I was called. we do not have a way to store it, so pretty much it went from me to him. A young man in his 20's named Jacob.
When else can you do something so important by doing nothing except lie there?
Truly amazing!!

2 comments:

Michal said...

Ann, did you ever sort out the book widget for your blog? The one you asked me about on my blog that had all the covers of the books I was reading. It is very easy to use once you sign up and install it. You just go to their side, log in and add the book you are reading and it will automatically update your blog with the new book.

Erin said...

How fabulous to see where your blood is making a difference. I know that I need to start donating mine now that I am allowed to since it has been awhile since my last piercing or trip to Africa, but it makes me so queesy just thinking about it. What a great gift to give though!