Friday 15 May 2009

Desperate to be seen...

I was just having a cup of tea in my cabin and looked out and saw this young woman on the dock, napping as she waits to be seen. So often the view from my window is just amazing, not in big ways but a story in itself. Every morning just below my window 30 to 40 people wait to be guided up the aft gangway into the hospital for their cataract surgeries. Our Eye surgeon does over 30 surgeries a day. He has perfected a low tech, no stitch surgery that takes under 5 minutes usually. He is truly amazing. If I walk down the hospital hallway later in the day, I will see them waiting, with a bit of tape on their foreheads over the eye to be done. Often they have cataracts in both eyes.
The other day a motorcycle driver came in for a surgery and after surgery headed out with a patch on that eye. There are over 70,000 of these Taxi motorcycles. But it was quite alarming to think of him driving.
Yesterday Ken and I took a group of the crew out to see the Eye team. It is out at these clics we set that we see thousands of patients and screen for cataract surgeries. While there , a near fight broke out.

People are desperate to be seen. We do understand the desperation to have your eyes seen. We cannot understand.

1 comment:

JanColSum said...

happy birthday from the twins! :-)